Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Conservative vs. Progress

While walking home today I began wondering about this blog thing, and one of the first things that occurred to me was that Marina is always willing to try out new technical progress things, while I am the techno conservative in the family. And, of course, a blog is a completely different animal than e-mail. E-mail is discrete, point-to-point, while a blog is like an open diary, as Marina noted. And writing for a broader audience, a sort of public diary, is a lot different than writing to specific people, where you can tailor the message to the audience. I recall back when I used write diaries fairly frequently (foreshadowing perhaps my future profession), that I often asked myself the question: Who am I writing for? For myself, for posterity (which is a rather vague concept when you're 15). And of course, a blog also raises issues of permanance: it is out there in space, and not a physical thing. Consider this: most of our pictures are now digital. They only exist on my computer. Without my computer they do not exist. And thus more and more of my experience is digitalized. Used to be one had tons of paper pictures. Now who does? Used to be I wrote a diary, on paper, using pen and ink. Used to be people wrote letters. I think only my Mom writes letters anymore. People used to have records (nay, consider this: people actually used to MAKE music), now people have all their music on their computer, or on their MP3 player. And if we distill this shift?
Kimo

No comments: