Thursday, November 30, 2006

Happy St Andrew's Day




Wow! The month of November is over already. How did that happen? Someone must have made our clocks run ahead of us. Tomorrow, I believe our Christmas season truly begins. We're lighting our first candle at my school. It is already beautiful with the giant wreath and lights all over. The older I get, I think I like Advent and Lent more and more. We need times like these. To reflect, to prepare, to get filled with expectation. To me it all comes to a peak at Midnight Mass. Everything that happens before is to make that one moment perfect. To celebrate our Saviour's coming into this world. All the little rituals I've developed, the making and writing of the cards, baking gingerbread with the children, lists and more lists, and dark chilly mornings when one can go to Rorate at 6:30 am (I do hope this year, I will manage to go to some), and the music, oh! I'm getting in the mood already.

But let me also talk about what happened between now, and the last time I'd written. The children began playing ping-pong with a nasty tonsilitits, Bella is still home from school, but she is doing a splendid job keeping up with the work we get from her classmates every day. I am honestly amazed by her discipline. She turned out to be such a hard working little pupil, her mid-term school report was outstanding. It talked about her in superlatives only. And not in this or that subject, but all of them! I know I am a biased mother, but her teachers aren't. It was a moment of total awe, surprise and honour for me. I am so proud of my daughter!

We also had a Thanksgiving party last Saturday. Our nine kilo turkey was not eaten by the 25 people who were here. Probably because more than half of them were children mostly under 10 years of age. You can imagne we had a full house. But it was fun, we ate in two sessions: first the children, then the grown ups, (this way we could also actually enjoy the meal, instead of constantly putting the children right).

Otherwise we've just both been busy, with work, children, the usual things, and Kimo added another activity to his chores: he's been splitting wood nearly every day now. He says it burns easier if you have smaller logs, but I tell you, he's tired himself out a lot.
Well, that's all for now folks. I am really looking forward to the upcoming Advent, and if you're a Hungarian reader, I say it's worth checking out the link below, which says Emberhalasz jatek. It is a biblical game, lot of fun, and I believe useful, too.

No comments: